Gender discrimination at work can have a severe impact on those it affects, from ill-health caused by psychological stress, to loss of income caused by unequal pay, sick leave, or sudden termination of employment. If you believe your employer is discriminating against you on the grounds of your gender, contact our specialist Anaheim gender discrimination attorney for a confidential discussion about what legal action you can take.
What is Gender Discrimination?
Gender discrimination is an illegal act under both state and federal laws. It occurs when an employer treats a person unfairly on the grounds of their gender – for example, refusing to hire a person, firing them or paying them less than their co-workers purely on the basis of their gender. Californian state law was updated in July 2017 to include the protection of gender identity to include people who are transgender and who are at every stage of gender realignment. As a result, workplace gender discrimination law also requires employers to ensure they have policies on:
- The provision of restrooms which provide for employees’ gender identities;
- Dress or uniform standards that allow an employee to dress according to their gender identity;
- Supporting employees who are undergoing gender realignment;
- Ensuring employees’ preferred names and identities are respected;
- Accepting documentation presented by employees and applicants who are – or have underwent – treatment for gender transition/realignment.
Gender rights in the workplace are also covered by federal law, by Title VII of the Civil Rights Act 1964. This law requires equal treatment for employees of all genders regarding:
- Employee compensation
- Employee benefits
- Access to training and apprenticeships
- Transfers and promotions, layoffs and recalls
- Hiring, firing and recruitment
- Job advertising that must not discriminate between genders
- Pay, retirement plans, disability leave
There is a statute of limitations of one year from the last episode of gender discrimination by an employer, so contact your Anaheim JML Law gender discrimination legal team to discuss your case without delay!
How Can Our Anaheim Gender Discrimination Attorneys Help You?
An Anaheim gender discrimination attorney from JML Law can hold your employer to account for failing to protect your civil legal rights. We have many years of experience in dealing with these types of cases, so if you believe you may be entitled to bring a gender discrimination lawsuit against your employer, contact us in confidence.
Our lawyers will be ready to file a gender discrimination case on your behalf. While many settlements are reached out of court, we will litigate on your behalf in court if required. We are always committed to obtaining a just, successful settlement or verdict for our clients. JML Law have many years’ experience of recovering discrimination compensation from employers who fail to properly protect your rights at work, and in the past, we have successfully won damages for our clients in cases such as:
- A female manager being refused the same pay as a male manager with the same qualifications and experience;
- Refusal to allow an employee who was transitioning from male to female to wear a female uniform;
- A mother being refused promotion in her part-time job because of her status as a caregiver to her children.
We have a successful track record of winning economic damages for our clients who successfully settle or are awarded damages by a court. Damages can include lost earnings and attorney fees, as well as awards for emotional distress and punitive damages.
Schedule Your Free Initial Consultation With an Anaheim Gender Discrimination Lawyer Today
To discuss your gender discrimination case with our highly experienced lawyers, schedule your free initial consultation with our legal team by calling today on 818-610-8800. Remember, we only get paid if we win your case.
Get Your Questions Answered.
Contact Our Lawyers.
Every case is unique and needs to be evaluated by our experienced lawyers. If you have been injured in a work-related accident,
give us a call at 818-610-8800 or send us an email to schedule a free initial consultation. There is no risk to meet with us. We get paid only if we win your claim.