Religious discrimination against employees in California is illegal – Title VII of the 1964 Civil Rights Act protects employees of all religions and none from discrimination in the workplace. Unfortunately, despite California having a multi-cultural and widely tolerant population, discrimination against people of religion at work still occurs to this day. If you have been discriminated against by your employer or during a job application process, you can talk to one of our experienced Anaheim religious discrimination lawyers at 818-610-8800 and let us help you receive the compensation you deserve.
What Is Religious Discrimination?
Religious discrimination happens when an employer – or potential employer if you are applying for work – treats you badly or fires you because of your religion or your agnosticism. Employers must not use your religious beliefs as an excuse to:
- Terminate your employment
- Demote you
- Lay you off
- Block your opportunities for promotion or advancement
- Deny you any job privileges
- Refuse to interview or hire you
- Transfer you from your usual job to a worse one
- Make your working life so difficult and unpleasant that you have no option but to resign (this is known as a constructive discharge)
How Are People Discriminated Against at Work?
There are many forms of religious discrimination that are experienced at work, from those listed above to everyday aggressions that nonetheless take their toll on those who experience it. Behaviors such as:
- Verbal or physical harassment of people who practice their religion
- Calling people anti-religious names
- Stealing, defacing or destroying religious items or Holy Books such as the Bible or Koran
- Forcibly removing or refusing permission to wear religious articles of clothing such as hijabs or kippahs
- Segregating people according to their religious beliefs
- Refusing to permit facial hair as required by a religion
- Employers imposing their religious views on their employees as a condition of remaining in a job
This is not an exhaustive list by any means, but just some examples of how badly people with religious beliefs can be discriminated against at work by their co-workers or supervisors. If you are being discriminated at work because of your religious beliefs, contact your local Anaheim JML Law attorney and we can help you stand up to these bullies. For a free initial consultation call us on 818-610-8800 – and remember anything you tell us will be in the strictest confidence.
Employment discrimination lawsuits
The latest statistics for employment discrimination lawsuits were released in 2017 by the US Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC), and show the percentage of all workplace discrimination lawsuits by category:
In 2017 alone, the EEOC secured almost $400 million for victims of illegal workplace discrimination. Workplace religious discrimination suits accounted for approximately 5% of all work-based complaints.
The FBI’s latest hate crime statistics (2017) revealed that religious hate crimes have increased over recent years, with 55% of hate crimes being committed against Jewish people, and 25% against Muslim people.
Schedule Your Free Initial Consultation with An Anaheim Religious Discrimination Lawyer Today!
For a confidential discussion about your religious discrimination case with our highly experienced lawyer, schedule your free initial consultation with our legal team by calling today at 818-610-8800. And remember, we only get paid if we win your claim.
Get Your Questions Answered.
Contact Our Lawyers.
Every case is unique and needs to be evaluated by our experienced lawyers. If you have been injured in a work-related accident,
give us a call at 818-610-8800 or send us an email to schedule a free initial consultation. There is no risk to meet with us. We get paid only if we win your claim.