Even with all the economic growth and higher education of today, sexual harassment is still an on-going problem in the workplace. According to the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, approximately one in five adults have reported that they have been sexually harassed while at work. If you or a loved one has been the victim of sexual harassment on the job, contact JML Law in Long Beach at 818-610-8800 now. Workplace sexual harassment should not be tolerated by your peers or your employers. Speak to one of our sexual harassment attorneys today about what your rights are and what legal recourse options you have.
What Is Considered Sexual Harassment?
According to California state regulations, sexual harassment is “unwanted sexual advances or visual, verbal or physical conduct of a sexual nature. This definition includes gender-based harassment of a person of the same sex as the harasser.” Some of the prohibited behavior considered to be sexual harassment under California regulations are
- Visual conduct: leering, making sexual gestures, displaying of sexually suggestive objects or pictures, cartoons or posters.
- Verbal conduct: making or using derogatory comments, epithets, slurs, and jokes.
- Verbal abuse of a sexual nature, graphic verbal commentaries about an individual’s body, sexually degrading words used to describe an individual.
- Physical conduct: touching, assault, impeding or blocking movements.
- Offering employment benefits in exchange for sexual favors.
- Making or threatening retaliatory action after receiving a negative response to sexual advances.
What Statistics Show
- 27 percent or more of women have faced sexual harassment in the workplace
- 19 percent of all American adults have faced sexual harassment
- 10 percent of men have faced sexual harassment
- 75 percent of harassment victims experienced some form of retaliation after it was reported
- Over 80 percent of employees who have experienced sexual harassment do not report it
What Should I Do?
Always keep records and any proof you may have of the harassment. Write down dates, times, what happened, and any witnesses. Report all incidents to your human resources or other appropriate departments as designated by the company you work for. Contact JML Law in Long Beach at 818-610-8800 to speak with a confidential attorney who has considerable experience in representing victims of sexual harassment in the workplace. We work diligently to ensure our client’s voices are being heard and are treated professionally. If we can not attain a reasonable settlement or verdict, you owe nothing for our fees.
You should never be made to fear retaliation for reporting harassment. These kinds of accusations should be investigated thoroughly and taken seriously by employers. You could face significant emotional and physical effects as a victim of workplace sexual harassment. Here at JML Law, we will ensure that your case is given the proper attention it deserves and that the guilty party will be held accountable for their actions. Let our professional attorneys represent your best interests and ensure you are being treated fairly and without retaliation of any kind. Contact JML Law today in Long Beach by calling 818-610-8800 or send us an email and tell us about your situation. Let our attorneys counsel you on what to do now to protect yourself and your future.
Get Your Questions Answered. Contact Our Lawyers.
Every case is unique and needs to be evaluated by our experienced lawyers. If you have been injured in a work-related accident, give us a call at 818-610-8800 or send us an email to schedule a free initial consultation. There is no risk to meet with us. We get paid only if we win your claim.