Your gender is not something you have any control of, and when you are discriminated against for your gender, it can feel like you have no options. Being discriminated against can cause psychological stress and affect your overall health. This can spiral into other serious issues. The good news is you do have options when you hire an Oakland gender discrimination attorney.
What is Gender Discrimination?
Gender discrimination consists of being treated differently based on gender identity, sexual orientation, or sex. There are several ways to be discriminated against based on protected gender characteristics. A few examples include:
- Lower pay or denied employment based on your gender. This typically takes the form of an employer not hiring women or only hiring them for specific positions.
- If you are held to a different standard or are treated more harshly due to your gender identity. This will look like a woman who receives a negative review or evaluation for being too aggressive. Still, a man who acts similarly is praised for their ‘aggressive’ demeanor.
- Getting less compensation than someone of a different gender for the same work or qualifications.
- Being passed up or denied a promotion, training opportunity, or pay raise due to your gender or sexual orientation
- Being punished for the same behavior as other employees of a different gender
- Intentional or repeated name-calling
- Insults, slurs, or derogatory names based on your gender
- Being rejected for a job due to a pregnancy
- Unwanted sexual advances or requests for sexual favors
These are just a few examples of what gender discrimination can look like at a workplace. You will need to discuss your particular circumstances with an Oakland gender discrimination attorney. No matter how you experience gender discrimination, it is illegal, and the liable parties will need to be held responsible for their actions. They cannot continue to get away with this type of behavior.
Gender Discrimination Law
We have mentioned that this behavior is illegal, and some laws protect you. The gender discrimination law legally requires that employers have policies in place to prevent discrimination of gender and other types of discrimination. Examples of policies are:
- Uniform standards that afford employees the chance to dress according to their gender
- Restrooms for employees of all gender identities
- Providing support for employees who are undergoing gender realignment
- Accepting documentation for employees who are experiencing or have undergone gender reassignment or gender transition
- Respecting preferred names and identities
While these policies may not be evident to most employees, they must exist. If they are not respected, an employer can be liable for gender discrimination.
Damages You Can Obtain
An Oakland gender discrimination attorney will work to obtain compensation for some of the following:
- Lost wages
- Reinstatement benefits
- Court costs
- Medical benefit reimbursement
- Attorney fees
- Emotional distress
- Reinstatement of employment
Call an Oakland Gender Discrimination Attorney
If you believe you are the victim of gender discrimination, speak to an Oakland gender discrimination attorney today. Call the office of JML Law, A Professional Law Corporation at 818-610-8800, or complete our contact form to discuss your case.
Get Your Questions Answered. Contact Our Lawyers.
Every case is unique and needs to be evaluated by our experienced lawyers. If you have been injured in a work-related accident, give us a call at 818-610-8800 or send us an email to schedule a free initial consultation. There is no risk to meet with us. We get paid only if we win your claim.