It seems fairly logical to assume that, the more motorcycles there are on the roads, the more injuries and fatalities will result. While this is simply an assumption, it is to some extent confirmed by the statistics relating to motorcycle accidents in California, however, it is important to bear in mind that there are numerous other factors also contributing to the likelihood of having an accident. Although riding a motorcycle can be incredibly freeing, when compared to being enclosed within a car or other vehicle, there is also the potentially fatal downside of not having the benefit of the protection offered by the car’s metal frame.
The number of motorcycles registered in San Bernardino, California, and the number of incidents involving them have both been on the increase over the past few years, and are showing little sign of abating. A San Bernardino motorcycle accident attorney from JML Law will take your case as far as is required to recover the compensation and monetary damages you are entitled to. With a lawyer equipped with our expertise and knowledge on your side, you can be confident that you will obtain the best possible result from your lawsuit.
San Bernardino Motorcycle Accidents: The Statistics
According to the figures available from the California Highway Patrol, between January 2017 and January 2018, the San Bernardino area saw:
- 3 fatal motorcycle accidents, each of which saw the fatal injury inflicted upon the motorcyclist
- 88 injuries arising from motorcycle accidents
As that gives us only a limited view of what motorcycles on San Bernardino roads may face, consider the Californian statistics for the whole of 2013:
- 11,780 injured motorcyclists
- 480 motorcyclist fatalities
- 535 motorcyclists injured in San Bernardino alone
- Per mile travelled, motorcyclists were 26 times more at risk than other motorists
- Those aged between 25 and 34 were statistically most at risk
- 24% of motorcyclists killed were above the legal blood alcohol limit
- The faster a motorcycle is travelling, the more severe the injuries resulting from a crash tend to be
The power of the motorcycle seems to play a significant role in the chances of sustaining a fatal injury, perhaps due to the speed at which the rider can reach. Considering 2013 fatal accidents, the following breakdown by type of motorbike applies:
|Engine Size (cc) ||% of Fatalities |
|500 or smaller ||6% |
|501 to 1000 ||40% |
|1001 to 1500 ||28% |
|1501 or higher ||17% |
|Unknown ||9% |
Common Causes of San Bernardino Motorcycle Accidents
Although motorcycle accidents in San Bernardino and beyond can happen for a myriad of reasons, the main primary causes tend to include:
- Driving at excessive speed, or one which is unsafe for current conditions
- Driving while under the influence of alcohol and drugs
- Improper turning
- Riding on the wrong side of the road
- Failure to yield
- Motorists failing to complete proper observations before turning
- Improper lane changes
Regardless of the cause of your motorcycle accident, where you have sustained injuries through no fault of your own, a San Bernardino attorney from JML Law is committed to recovering the full extent of compensation available to you. For your free initial consultation, call us today on 818-610-8800.
Get Your Questions Answered. Contact Our Lawyers.
Every case is unique and needs to be evaluated by our experienced lawyers. If you have been injured in a work-related accident, give us a call at 818-610-8800 or send us an email to schedule a free initial consultation. There is no risk to meet with us. We get paid only if we win your claim.