There is no disputing the fact that walking is a great way to enjoy the fantastic weather and scenic surroundings in San Bernardino, plus you get the health benefits of being up and moving around, rather than sitting in traffic for extended periods every day. Of course, we are not suggesting that you give up using a car or public transportation entirely, as that would be unrealistic for most of us who need to commute to work, attend various sports and pastime venues, and do the necessary but tedious grocery shopping. On the flipside of those benefits offered by being active and setting off on foot, pedestrian accidents happen more than you may think. Pedestrians may simply be in the wrong place at the wrong time when a traffic accident happens nearby, or they may be struck by a reckless or negligent driver failing to stop for a crosswalk. Just as with accidents solely involving vehicles, there can be numerous reasons why a pedestrian accident happens, and JML Law San Bernardino pedestrian accident attorneys can provide the legal representation you need after each of them.
How Frequently Do San Bernardino Pedestrian Accidents Really Happen?
While we mentioned that pedestrian accidents happen more than you may think, that is, of course, quite a subjective statement. To make it a little clearer – after all, each of us would probably make a completely different estimate as to the regularity at which San Bernardino pedestrian accidents happen – here are some statistics relating to the incidents. Across the United States:
- Over 70,000 pedestrians were injured in traffic accidents in 2015 alone
- Around 4,000 pedestrians are killed in traffic accidents each year
- Almost 75% of pedestrian accidents happen in urban areas, as you may expect
- These figures indicated that a pedestrian is killed, on average, every 2 hours, with injuries resulting from pedestrian accidents every 8 minutes
If you are interested more in statistics relating to San Bernardino specifically, the California Office of Traffic Safety’s 2015 figure show that:
- 118 pedestrians were injured or killed in San Bernardino city, with 20 of those aged younger than 15, and 12 over 65
- In San Bernardino County, 568 injuries and fatalities occurred in the same year – 102 of which involved under 15s and 54 involved over 65s
According to these statistics, San Bernardino County ranks 8th out of the 58 recorded regions in terms of pedestrian accidents involving minors, and 40th in terms of overall pedestrian accidents.
Common Injuries Resulting from San Bernardino Pedestrian Accidents
It goes without saying that, when a pedestrian is hit by a motor vehicle, the fragile human body is incredibly vulnerable. Some of the injuries regularly seen by our attorneys while handling pedestrian accident cases include:
- Broken and fractured bones
- Spinal injuries, including those affecting the spinal cord
- Head injuries, including traumatic brain injuries
- Internal bleeding and other internal injuries
- Cuts, lacerations, bruising and significant pain
When a negligent or reckless driver has failed to respect your right to safety, our San Bernardino pedestrian accident attorneys pledge to work tirelessly to hold them accountable for their actions.
To schedule your free initial consultation, call us today on 818-610-8800.
Get Your Questions Answered.
Contact Our Lawyers.
Every case is unique and needs to be evaluated by our experienced lawyers. If you have been injured in a work-related accident,
give us a call at 818-610-8800 or send us an email to schedule a free initial consultation. There is no risk to meet with us. We get paid only if we win your claim.