Nobody ever says that they enjoyed being involved in a traffic accident of any type but, while any kind of accident on San Bernardino roads can have catastrophic consequences, those involving semi-trucks, big rigs, and other large commercial vehicles tend towards being the most damaging. For example, the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration reports that, in 2015 alone, 415,000 collisions involving large trucks were recorded, with around 4,150 of these resulting in fatal injuries, and a further 83,000 inflicting non-fatal injuries.
No matter how careful a driver you may be, you could be involved in one of these accidents whilst on the road. At JML, our San Bernardino truck accident attorneys have significant experience in representing those who have sustained serious injuries or even lost a loved one to a collision with a large commercial vehicle. When you find yourself in a similar predicament, we are here to provide the guidance and support you require throughout the legal process.
Truck Accidents in San Bernardino and Beyond – The Statistics
Did you know that, in 2015, there were 35 fatal truck accidents in San Bernardino County? This puts the region second only to Los Angeles County.
Statistics released by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) which defines a large truck as “any medium or heavy truck, excluding buses and motor homes, with a gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) greater than 10,000 pounds” reveal that, in 2016, 80% of trucks involved in fatal truck accidents were, in fact, greater than 26,000 pounds. In other words, the larger the truck, the more likely it is to inflict fatal injuries.
The same statistics also illustrate that also in 2016:
- 4,317 people in the United States were killed in accidents involving large trucks, an increase of 5.4% compared to the previous year
- 72% of the fatalities were inflicted upon occupants of vehicles other than the truck itself
- 2% of the truck drivers involved in these accidents were found to be under the influence of alcohol to some degree, alongside 21% of car drivers, 20% of those driving smaller trucks, and 25% of motorcyclists
- Large trucks accounted for 4% of all registered vehicles, 9% of all vehicle miles travelled, and 8% of all vehicles involved in fatal collisions
- Over the same period, cars accounted for 93% of all registered vehicles in the United States, and 93% of all vehicle miles travelled
- Large trucks are most likely to be involved in fatal multiple-vehicle collisions, whereas other forms of fatal accident tend to involve single vehicles
- 66% of truck accidents involve the front of the truck
- 72% of fatal truck accidents occur on non-interstate roads
- 79% of these accidents take place on a weekdays, with 70% during the daytime hours
Schedule Your Free Initial Consultation with a San Bernardino Truck Accident Attorney Today
If you, or a loved one, have been injured in a San Bernardino truck accident, you could benefit from the legal representation of an outstanding attorney. To schedule your free initial consultation, call JML Law today on 818-610-8800.
Get Your Questions Answered.
Contact Our Lawyers.
Every case is unique and needs to be evaluated by our
experienced lawyers. If you have been injured in a work-related accident,
give us a call at 818-610-8800 or send us an email to schedule a free initial consultation. There is no risk to meet with us. We get paid only if we win your claim.