Medical errors are the third-leading killer in the U.S., accounting for almost 10 percent of all American deaths. They can be life-altering and devastating. The bureau of justice statistics states 90 percent of the medical malpractice claims were filed by claimants who have sustained permanent injury or have lost a relative as a result.
Everyone deserves proficient, not negligent, health care. The physicians who are responsible should be held accountable for their grave misconduct. Contact JML Law at 415-692-3462 if you feel that you or a loved one has been the victim of medical malpractice.
What you should know
Medical malpractice is one of the top types of litigation cases in the U.S. When relying on a physician’s medical opinion you deserve competent and professional doctors, treatment and care. According to a Columbia university researcher’s current issue of Infection Control and Hospital Epidemiology, the leading cause of death for U.S. hospital patients is an infection. Being assigned a hospital bed, previously used and not properly cleaned or disinfected by staff, ups your risk of infection by 583%.
According to the “2013 Medical Malpractice payout Analysis,” the severity of alleged injury in medical malpractice claims were as follows:
- 31 percent – death
- 19 percent – significant permanent injury
- 18 percent – major permanent injury
- 12 percent – quadriplegic, brain damage, lifelong care
- 8 percent – minor permanent injury
- 7 percent – major temporary injury
- 3 percent – minor temporary injury
- 1 percent – emotional injury only
- 0.4 percent – insignificant injury
Your health care, treatment, and safety should be of utmost importance and handled professionally. If you or a loved one has been injured by carelessness at the hands of the medical doctor you were relying on for expert care, call JML Law or visit our website at www.jmllaw.com to request a free consultation.
What Statistics Show
- Fifty percent of U.S. doctors use paper, rather than electronic records, costing money and lives.
- More than 250,000 deaths per year are due to medical error in the U.S.
- 14,000 deaths per year caused by the bacterium C.diff.
- At least one-third of the time, doctors fail to wash their hands between patient visits.
- 9.5 percent of all medical malpractice claims against health care professionals were made in California
- 16.74 percent of general medical malpractice lawsuits against dentists were filed in California
- Less than 10 percent of medical errors are reported
When you need medical attention for any reason, for most patients the concern is quality healthcare and affordable costs. The last thing a patient would expect is to become a victim of medical malpractice and negligence. These substantial medical errors can have unforeseen drastic consequences on your life and health. According to a nationwide study at the University of Chicago, medical errors “often have a lasting impact on the patient’s physical health, emotional health, financial well-being, or family relationships.”
When you or a loved one has been injured or have suffered from misdiagnosis, surgical errors and/or even having been prescribed harmful medications never intended for you, call JML Law at 415-692-3462. We have offices in Orange County, Los Angeles, and the Bay Area. Our experts on medical malpractice will help you receive the compensation for your losses that you deserve as a victim of medical malpractice.
Get Your Questions Answered. Contact Our Lawyers.
Every case is unique and needs to be evaluated by our experienced lawyers. If you have been injured in a work-related accident, give us a call at 818-610-8800 or send us an email to schedule a free initial consultation. There is no risk to meet with us. We get paid only if we win your claim.