When you do to work with public agency or a private company, the last thing you expect is to encounter a situation in which you learn they are engaging in illegal activity or acting in a way that breaches the public’s trust. Unfortunately, sometimes employers engage in behavior that needs to be brought to light.
Sometimes, the only way this behavior is discovered is by brave employees who come forward with the information. They do so, even knowing that they may end up unemployed, or worse, in legal trouble if they are also suspected in the company’s illegal behavior.
Thankfully, California has some of the strongest whistleblower protection laws in the country, helping to supplement federal whistleblower laws. If you need to report wrongdoing on the part of your employer, you may need a whistleblower protection attorney in Woodland Hills. At JML Law, we will work to ensure that you are protected from retaliation.
It does not matter what industry you work in – wrongdoing exists everywhere, and it does not have to be tolerated. Here are some common types of whistleblower cases:
- Tax Fraud – This can apply to both companies and individuals (think political campaigns). Many people think that they can evade paying taxes to the government. High-income businesses and individuals often attempt to get around their tax burdens by hiding income overseas or manipulating their accounting numbers. Whistleblowers often come forward to bring these actions to light. The IRS sometimes even offers money to whistleblowers who report wrongdoing.
- Poor Working Conditions – This is especially prevalent when it comes to entry-level farm and manufacturing jobs, but also occurs with larger, more well-known companies. Often, working conditions for low-level workers is absolutely horrible. Whistleblowers can report health and safety violations as well as instances of wage fraud.
- Healthcare Fraud – Hospitals, pharmaceutical companies, medical device companies, and other medical related companies often engage in healthcare fraud. This is not only illegal, but causes the cost of health care to rise for everyone. Companies often commit fraud by billing insurance companies for services they did not provide. Other times, they charge for brand name items when they only dispense generics. Whistleblowers provide a valuable service by reporting this fraud.
- US Securities and Stocks – Whistleblowers often report when major corporations commit fraud that deceives their investors. Maybe they aren’t truthful when reporting earnings or is engaged in other manipulative behaviors to alter stock prices. Reporting this to the SEC can lead to a reward for the whistleblower.
- Illegal Dumping – California has strict environmental laws, but sometimes companies ignore them and dump toxic materials into the environment. It is vital that this is reported.
These are just a few examples but are by no means the only types.
What To Do
If you believe your employer is engaged in illegal activities, you may need a whistleblower protection attorney in Woodland Hills before proceeding. Contact us at JML Law by clicking here or calling us at 818-610-8800. We will help you through the process step by step so you and your family are protected.
Get Your Questions Answered.
Contact Our Lawyers.
Every case is unique and needs to be evaluated by our
experienced lawyers. If you have been injured in a work-related accident,
give us a call at 818-610-8800 or send us an email to schedule a free initial consultation. There is no risk to meet with us. We get paid only if we win your claim.