Losing a loved one unexpectedly is always devastating, and even more so when their death could have been avoided but for the negligence of another person or party. When this happens, the surviving close family members of the deceased may be eligible to file for wrongful death compensation in respect of their loved one’s pain and suffering, and a range of other economic and non-economic losses. As California law imposes strict limitations on who is entitled to claim this compensation, as well as a statute of limitations stating that any claims must be filed within two years of your loved one’s death, or six months where the lawsuit holds the government responsible, it is imperative that you consult with an expert Woodland Hills wrongful death attorney immediately to ensure you do not lose out.
At JML Law, each of our wrongful death lawyers is committed to providing the legal guidance and support you need at this difficult time, in addition to recovering maximum compensation on your behalf.
How Can a Woodland Hills Attorney Help with My Wrongful Death Lawsuit?
Personal injury law can be incredibly complex and, when you are grieving for a lost loved one, the last thing you need is to attempt to navigate an unfamiliar legal system alone. Through hiring a JML Law Woodland Hills wrongful death attorney to pursue compensation on your behalf, you can take the time you need to come to terms with the new normal of your life, and rest assured that a highly skilled lawyer is working to protect your rights.
While you are, of course, free to pursue damages through an insurance company, the truth is that around 99% of insurance settlements do not represent the full amount you are due. Rather than accepting a low settlement, allow our esteemed attorneys to pursue compensation in respect of:
- Medical costs incurred between the time of injury and your loved one’s time of death
- Pain and suffering inflicted on your loved one
- Lost companionship
- The loss of your loved one’s earnings, both now and in the future
- The loss of any other income, medical benefit, or other economic losses arising from their death
- Funeral and burial expenses, where applicable
Am I Eligible to File for Wrongful Death Compensation?
When you attend your initial consultation with your Woodland Hills attorney, we will ascertain your eligibility to claim wrongful death compensation. Under the relevant California law, this compensation can only be claimed by those who could normally be expected to inherit from the deceased, such as:
- The deceased’s surviving spouse or domestic partner
- Any surviving children
- Parents, siblings, and any living relative “who would be entitled to the property of the decedent by intestate succession”
- Where financial dependency on the deceased can be proven, a wrongful death lawsuit may also be brought by the deceased’s putative spouse and that putative spouse’s children, the deceased’s stepchildren, or the deceased’s parents
Any or all of the eligible parties may choose to join the wrongful death lawsuit, although they are not obliged to do so.
To discuss your eligibility, schedule a free initial consultation with an expert Woodland Hills wrongful death attorney by calling JML Law today on 818-610-8800.
Get Your Questions Answered.
Contact Our Lawyers.
Every case is unique and needs to be evaluated by our
experienced lawyers. If you have been injured in a work-related accident,
give us a call at 818-610-8800 or send us an email to schedule a free initial consultation. There is no risk to meet with us. We get paid only if we win your claim.