Across the U.S., millions of people are injured each year at work. Thousands of workplace accidents result in serious injuries and even fatal injuries. Employees who are injured while on the job are entitled to just compensation for their injuries.
Depending on the injury, a worker has different avenues to compensation and may be entitled to various means of compensation. Employees can seek compensation through state or federal programs and they can also seek compensation through a civil lawsuit. The Los Angeles workplace injury attorneys at JML Law have the resources and experience required to identify all available claims open to an employee and will get you the just compensation you deserve.
Employees who have suffered a work injury should seek the advice of an experienced Los Angeles workplace injury attorney. Family members may also be entitled to compensation for a loved one who was fatally injured while on the job. Every case is unique, which is why it is important to speak with an experienced attorney today.
Understanding Common Workplace Injuries
Workers face hazards in the workplace and are put at risk for suffering serious injuries that can lead to long-term complications and treatment. At JML Law, A Professional Law Corporation, we believe in advocating for workers who have been injured on the job.
Accidents can occur in any industry. The most common causes of workplace accidents include:
- Overexertion: According to UniFirst First Aid and Safety, overexertion causes 35% of all work-related injuries and is the largest contributor to workers’ compensation costs.
- Slips and Falls: According to the Liberty Mutual Workplace Safety Index, slip and fall claims account for 19.2% of all workers’ compensation claims.
- Being struck by an object: According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, 96% of struck-by injuries are caused by falling or flying objects, or equipment.
- Roadway accidents: According to the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration, the top impairments that lead to roadway accidents include substance abuse, fatigue, illness, and emotional distress.
- Repetitive Motions: According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics and the Occupational Health and Safety Administration, repetitive motion injuries cost employers an estimated $80 billion a year and account for the longest work absences.
It is difficult to cope and recover from your injuries, especially if you were involved in a traumatic accident. We understand the challenges of injury causes. That is why we are committed to helping you understand your rights and advocating for your best interests.
Representing Injured Workers In All Industries
Work accidents can result in all types of injuries. Our lawyers have represented clients with common workplace injuries such as:
- Back injuries
- Neck injuries
- Head injuries
- Broken bones
- Repetitive motion injuries
We frequently represent clients in the construction, manufacturing, and tech industries, who have been injured in accidents or due to repetitive motion over several months or even years. Repetitive motion accidents account for the longest work absences. The U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics states “repetitive motion, such as grasping tools, scanning groceries, and typing resulted in the longest absences from work among the leading events and exposures—a median of 23 days.”
When an employee suffers a life-changing injury, getting the full and just amount of workers’ compensation benefits possible is critical. A Los Angeles workplace injury attorney can help ensure that workers’ compensation claims are submitted properly, on time, and with the necessary evidence needed to secure maximum benefits.
Filing a workers’ compensation claim
Workers’ compensation benefits are to give a worker financial assistance for, medical treatment, lost wages, and help to return to work.
Workers’ compensation benefits will never include compensation for pain and suffering or punitive damages. To receive compensation for pain and suffering or punitive damages you will need to file a lawsuit against the responsible party. The steps needed to get started on filing a workers’ compensation claim include:
- Report the injury or illness to your employer—report the injury or illness soon as it happens. If you do not report your injury within 30 days, you could lose your right to receive workers’ compensation.
- Receive emergency treatment if needed—always tell the medical staff that your injury is job-related. Even if you do not need emergency treatment, go to a doctor as soon as possible to have your injuries or illness documented.
- File a claim—fill out a claim form, which starts the workers’ compensation process. Your employer is required to provide you with medical care as soon as you file a claim.
Your claim will either be accepted or denied. An attorney can help you with filing a claim, what to do if you disagree with a claim decision, and how to best resolve your case. An attorney will also help file a civil suit against a third party to receive fair compensation for your injuries and pain and suffering.
Protecting Your Rights After A Work Injury
Our attorneys care about helping you get through this difficult time. We will pay attention to you and learn about how your injury has affected your life and your ability to work. An on-the-job injury needs to be handled carefully by experienced lawyers, and we are just the team to help you.
We represent clients in Woodland Hills, Los Angeles County, and Orange County. We understand the workers’ compensation system in California. We will guide you through the process of filing a claim and make sure you know what steps to take along the way.
Contact us online or call our firm at 818-610-8800 to schedule a free consultation. Do not wait to contact us to discuss your case. There are time limits for filing a claim.
Get Your Questions Answered. Contact Our Lawyers.
Every case is unique and needs to be evaluated by our experienced lawyers. If you have been injured in a work-related accident, give us a call at 818-610-8800 or send us an email to schedule a free initial consultation. There is no risk to meet with us. We get paid only if we win your claim.