Sometimes you read a story and cannot help but feel horrible for the families involved. We recently learned that a 19-year-old college athlete was killed when he was struck by a 16-year old driver in nearby Torrance. According to police, the 16-year-old is suspected to have been under the influence at the time of the crash.
At JML Law, we are here to help when you need a Los Angeles wrongful death attorney. We know that these cases can become complicated, but we want to work on securing the compensation you deserve after a tragedy.
What Happened Here?
Sladen John Mohl was a college basketball player in Alaska who was walking along Hawthorne and Sepulveda boulevards in Torrance recently. That was when he was struck by a 16-year-old who police say was impaired by a drunk driver.
‘Everybody loved him,” said Mohl’s basketball coach. “You cannot look at him and not smile.”
Police say that a Toyota Highlander, driven by the 16-year-old, was driving traveling south when it ran a red light and struck Mohl, who was standing in the pedestrian island. The driver continued on after striking Mohl and hit two more vehicles.
The driver was arrested at the scene and her name has not been released.
This Can Happen
In this case, the 16-year-old will face criminal charges, but we want you to know that wrongful death lawsuits can also be brought civilly against those whose negligence or carelessness causes the death of another person.
There are many ways in which wrongful death cases come up, and today we want to review some of them. Please know that this is not a complete list and that you should always speak with an attorney regarding your specific case.
- DUI crashes – for the latest reporting year in California, we know that alcohol-impaired drivers caused 29% of all traffic fatalities.
- Distracted drivers – when a person is paying attention to their phones, other people, food, or something else inside the vehicle, they are going to cause a crash.
- Medical mistakes – this is the third leading cause of death in the US. We know that some of the most common medical mistakes revolve around medication errors, misdiagnosis, failure to treat, surgical errors, and more.
- Faulty products – there are hundreds of defective products that make it to the shelves each year due to design errors, manufacturing flaws, or labeling problems.
- Premises liability – slip and fall incidents are the main causes of premises liability cases, but there are many other ways people get hurt due to the negligence of a property owner.
Let Your Attorney Help
If you are here today because you have lost a loved one due to the negligence of another person, company, or entity, please seek legal assistance immediately. At JML Law we will get to work on investigating what happened. We know that these cases can become complex, but we want to secure compensation for the following:
- Funeral and burial expenses
- Loss of future income and benefits of the deceased
- Pain and suffering damages
- Loss of companionship damages
- Punitive damages against those responsible
If you need a wrongful death attorney in Los Angeles, you can contact us by calling at 818-610-8800 for a free consultation today.