Losing someone is not exactly the kind of story we like to tell. It’s difficult, especially when the death was caused by someone’s mistake. A lot of painful emotions can rise to the surface every time the subject is mentioned. Regardless of the causes of your loved one’s death, it’s important you hire a Los Angeles wrongful death attorney to help you find out the real causes of such sudden death. A wrongful death can significantly impact your life and finances and you must know what to do in order to stay afloat.
When losing a child
Losing a child can be particularly difficult for parents. When a child dies the courts will take a look at other things when analyzing the accident since children don’t work. Parents may still be able to obtain economic compensation for their loss. A wrongful death claim can be brought only if the person that died is 18 years of age or older. A few things will be taken into consideration such as:
- The financial contributions of the deceased.
- Whether or not the person filing the claim was receiving support from the deceased.
- Whether or not the deceased was married at the time he or she died.
Wrongful death of an elderly person
A wrongful death claim involving the elderly can be filed by the spouse, children, or any other close relative. Courts will take into consideration the economic impact of the person on the family or particular person filing the claim. They will take a look at pensions, life insurance, and also companionship.
Coping with the loss
Mourning the loss of a loved one is a natural process but it can be more painful when the death was caused by someone’s negligence. Some useful advice:
- Talk about your feelings with family and friends. Denial won’t do you any good as the pain may linger longer. People are there to support you. Whether you like to admit it or not, you need them .
- Embrace your feelings. It’s okay to cry and to get emotional.
- Take care of yourself and the people you love. Exercise, sleep, and move on with your life.
- Help others in pain. Sometimes comforting others in similar situations can help you deal with your own grief.
- Remember and celebrate. You can go to therapy and find constructive ways to treasure the moments you and your loved one shared. You will see how all the anger and frustration will slowly go away and you will be able to find healing and the strength to move on.
Some people take longer to grief than others and that’s perfectly okay. Be gentle with yourself and allow time do its best.
Hiring a Los Angeles wrongful death attorney
Wrongful death cases can be complex to handle on your own. They have sensitive details that only an experienced Los Angeles wrongful death attorney can study and assure the family of the deceased are rightfully compensated. We offer a free consultation and will treat all the information provided with confidentiality.