It’s very common for people visiting someone’s home or local store to have an accident due to dangerous conditions in their premises such as wet floors, a defective elevator and stairs, uneven steps, and so on. If you have been involved in one of these accidents, you may be entitled to receive compensation for your loss and injuries sustained while in the property. Property owners are responsible to maintain their properties and keep them free from any harmful conditions. Contact a Los Angeles premises liability attorney to help you file a claim against the parties at fault.
Some steps will help you know what to do if you ever face one of these unpredictable situations:
- Seek immediate medical assistance – Most people think their injuries are not that severe. Although the damage may not be that apparent right away, it’ll start showing up with time. Symptoms can delay weeks or even months but that doesn’t mean you were not injured.
- Taking good pics – Even the cheapest phones have good cameras these days. A few photographs of the accident scene will suffice to show your Los Angeles premises liability attorney that you have a case. It’s important the pictures show how dangerous the place was at the time of the accident.
- Gather evidence – It’s important you get the contact info of people at the scene of the accident who can witness about the conditions of the property at the time of the accident. The clothes and shoes you wore should also be kept as evidentiary support. Don’t wash these items. Keep them as they are.
- Your police report – If the accident happened in a store, for example, make sure an incident report is filed. If you need medical assistance, get these reports as well. Make sure you have a copy of all reports before leaving the property.
- Your medical records – You may be entitled to reimbursement for your medical expenses, lost income, and other losses, depending on the circumstances of your accident and severity of your injuries. Your medical records are an important evidence as they document that the injuries actually occurred and that they interfered in your daily life.
- Don’t sign anything – Your signature is more important than you would think. You may get a few calls from insurance companies or the attorney representing the person who owns the place where the accident happened, but never sign anything without first consulting your Los Angeles premises liability attorney.
These are complex cases involving various parties. It’s best if you hire an attorney to represent you and fight for your rights. It’s never too late to claim what’s yours. Every situation and client is different. This is why we offer a free initial consultation to discuss your case. We will be able to tell you if you have a case or not and how much compensation you may be entitled to receive. Call us today and schedule your initial case evaluation with one of our experienced attorneys.