Last month in nearby Costa Mesa, a member of their fire and rescue team passed away after being struck by a suspected drunk driver.
“Words alone cannot describe the immeasurable heartache felt by his friends and family, including his fire family,” said a statement put out by the agency.
The collision happened on November 3 at around 8 a.m. Captain Mike Kreza was off-duty and riding his bicycle when he was struck by a van driven by Stephen Taylor Scarpa, a 25-year-old man. Scarpa stayed at the scene and was arrested on suspicion of felony DUI. Police also say that they found prescription pills on him and inside the vehicle.
At JML Law, our condolences go out to Captain Kreza’s family.
What Can Go Wrong
We know that there are many ways people can get killed due to another person’s negligence. If you need a Long Beach wrongful death attorney, we are here to help.
In the case above, like many others, we often see wrongful death cases arise due to vehicle accidents. Often, the culprit is a drunk driver, which accounts for 27% of all traffic fatalities in this state. Other times, distracted or speeding drivers are the cause of fatalities.
However, vehicle accidents are not the only way that negligence can cause a fatality.
- Workplace Accidents: Employers have a duty to ensure their employees have a safe working environment. If they do not provide proper equipment or training and someone gets hurt or killed, they could be held liable.
- Product Liability: Unfortunately, there are times when something we use is faulty. If a product is poorly designed, has a manufacturing flaw, or is labeled incorrectly, it can cause fatalities for consumers. Products affected span everything we use on a daily basis, from food and medicines to vehicles and furniture.
- Medical Mistakes: Medical mistakes are the third leading cause of death in the United States. They can occur in a variety of ways, including medication errors, surgical mistakes, hospital-acquired infections, and patient misdiagnosis.
- Premises Incidents: Property owners have a duty to ensure that their premises are safe from hazards that can harm their patrons.
(This list is by no means complete. Always seek a qualified attorney to review your particular case.)
What Are Your Options
If you have lost a loved one due to the carelessness or negligence of another person, we know that you are going through an incredibly tough time right now. You will have many questions. While no amount of money can make up for the loss of a loved one, it can help bring closure and cover some of the expenses you have encountered.
At JML Law, we will work to secure:
- Punitive damages
- Pain and suffering damages
- Funeral and burial expenses
- Loss of future income of the deceased
When you need a Long Beach wrongful death attorney, you can contact us by clicking here or calling us at 818-610-8800 for a free consultation today.