Food poisoning is not something you would want to leave unchecked. Whenever people have the symptoms of food poisoning such as bloating, indigestion, diarrhea, pain in the abdomen, nausea, vomiting, and others, they often fail to recognize the real danger of their condition. You may have consumed contaminated food, and your life may be in danger.
Our Los Angeles product liability attorney from the JML Law warns that contaminated foods and food poisoning is not something you would want to joke around with. Food poisoning is not some illusory or distant thing that should not both you. In fact, it is more real than you think.
How common is food poisoning in the US?
Statistics shows that more than 5,000 Americans die of foodborne diseases every year, while there are about 76 million illnesses caused by foodborne diseases.
What you may not have known about food contamination and food poisoning is that all parties in the food industry, including but not limited to restaurants, cafes, food suppliers, and grocers, have a legal duty to comply with federal and state health and safety guidelines in Los Angeles and other cities of California.
Sadly, some companies and individuals who have that duty fail to prevent or reduce food contamination, and, as a result, people get injured (and even die).
Any negligence, carelessness and recklessness regarding preparation and sales of food is taken seriously by California courts, which is why you may want to consult a Los Angeles product liability lawyer if you have been injured as a result of food poisoning and want to recover damages.
What are the causes of food poisoning?
What is food contamination anyway and why does it occur in the first place? Causes of food contamination vary greatly from one case to another, but the most common reasons why people get food poisoning (and can end up being hospitalized) are because responsible parties in the food industry:
- Use rotten food
- Use food that has not been properly cleaned
- Improperly prepare food
- Use unsanitary or unclean equipment and kitchen tools to prepare and serve food
- Use harmful and sometimes even illegal pesticides and chemicals when preparing food
- Serve or sell food that has been expired and is dangerous to consume
- Prepare food and meals in an environment that does not meet sanitary or safety standards and regulations in California
- Fail to wash hands or use clean and sanitized equipment
- Fail to comply with health and safety regulations
- Fail to store food in proper conditions
Prepare, serve and sell food that has been made of ingredients and
- components bought from fishy and shady food suppliers
- Fail to train their employees and kitchen personnel about safety regulations and standards of preparing and handling fool and
- Fail to prevent foreign objects getting in food and/or detect the presence of foreign objects before it is too late.
Symptoms of food poisoning
As we have mentioned above, most people in Los Angeles and elsewhere in California fail to recognize the real symptoms of food poisoning and foodborne disease and downplay the seriousness of these symptoms (hoping they are temporary).
Our Los Angeles product liability attorney from the JML Law has outlined some of the most common symptoms of food poisoning that typically manifest themselves within two to six hours of eating contaminated or otherwise harmful food:
- pain in the abdomen or rectum
- loss of appetite
- extreme sweating
- stomach cramps
If you believe that you have food poisoning and/or you have consumed contaminated or otherwise harmful food, seek the immediate legal advice of our product liability lawyer at the JML Law.
Contact our Los Angeles offices to get a free consultation today. Call at 818-610-8800 or send us an email.