We have learned of the death of a California man at the construction of an Amazon fulfillment center. The fatality has sparked an investigation by California’s Division of Occupational Safety and Health (Cal/OSHA).
What we know so far is that Brien James Daunt, 42, was killed after falling about 35 feet from a multistory building that was currently under construction. He was employed by the Herrick Corporation. Herrick’s president said that “We regret Brien’s loss. He’s well regarded within that crew and within our company.”
As we await the findings of an investigation of the cause of this tragic incident, we know that construction deaths are often caused due to the negligence of another person or agency. If you need a Los Angeles wrongful death attorney, you can count on JML Law to be by your side.
What Is Wrongful Death
Not all deaths necessarily rise to a wrongful death lawsuit. These cases arise when a person is killed due to the extreme negligence or carelessness of another person, agency, or company. Today we want to go over some of the common ways we see these cases come up.
- Vehicle accidents – while not all fatal vehicle accidents are wrongful death cases, there are times when extreme driver negligence needs to be accounted for. This can include drunk drivers, distracted drivers, and those who drive excessively and cause fatalities.
- Medical errors – medical mistakes are the third leading cause of death in this country and they occur in a variety of ways: medication errors, healthcare-acquired infections, surgical mistakes, and more.
- Faulty products – there are hundreds of product recalls issued each year, many of which you will likely never know about it you do not check the government website that tracks current recalls. These products span all industries and have the ability to cause fatalities.
- Workplace accidents – workplace fatalities often occur because an employer fails to provide proper safety equipment or training necessary for their employees to do their jobs.
- Excessive police force – by now, we are all aware that excess use of force by law enforcement personnel can lead to death. Anytime police use unjustified force that causes injuries or fatalities, they should be held accountable for their actions.
There are other ways that these cases arise, so we always ask you to speak with a qualified attorney about your particular case.
Moving Forward From Here
If you have lost a loved one and you think that their death was caused by the negligence of another person, agency, or company, we want to help. At JML Law, our team will work with you to get to the bottom of what happened so we can secure the compensation you deserve. This can include:
- Funeral and burial expenses
- Loss of future income and benefits
- Pain and suffering damages
- Punitive damages
If you need a Los Angeles wrongful death attorney, you can contact us by clicking here or calling us at 818-610-8800 for a free consultation today.